Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TRJ#5---Writer’s Craft: Structure

TRJ#5---Writer’s Craft: Structure
The structure of this book is divided in chapters, and each of them are narrated by two protagonists one by another. It has a close pattern that they take turns with the exception of some cases. It is interesting that the author used two protagonists to be the narrators one by the other to make the readers understand the book’s plot easier. It is like the author wanted to describe what is happening in one side and what is happening in the meanwhile on the other side. It is a structure that I have never seen before and I enjoyed it. It was more fun to read what is happening on one side and when the chapter changes, the different story emerges right after and remind me what was going on and what trouble the main character had.
The climax part, the part when Julia was sent to Vineland and Carina was deserted in the middle of nowhere and meets Glenn to help her, was very affected by the author’s structure. As I read the climax part I looked forward to reading the next chapter because not only was the story fun, but also the story was more exciting because of the structure made me feel that I am going to see the other protagonist’s story and expect how she would solve her problem. I find this structure very useful and would like to try other book that is structured like this book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is quite interesting that the author used two protagonist's view at one book. Although I didn't read this book and I was not that interested because it looked like just 'fantasy-princess' story, I got interest in the structure of book. I read the novel 'The notebook' and view of that novel was interesting so I wanted to read a book that has an interesting structure! I want to try this book!

Lucia Jeong said...

Hello ^0^

First thing I noticed was instead of a prince, it was a princess and a pauper. I've read 'The prince and the pauper' and I thought it was an enjoyable book. I think the fact that there were two different protagonists and two different perspectives could attract the reader. Seeing two different ways of solving the problem from different people is in my opinion, an interesting circumstance. Good job on noticing the interesting structure:)

When I read the 'The prince and the pauper' a long time ago, similar to the book you're reading, the two point of views kept my interest rolling. I always thought, "What is the other character doing while this is going on?" when the book was concentrating on one of the characters. I agree that it is exciting to read what is happening to one protagonist and then the next when the chapter changes. It gives the reader a reminder of what the dilemma was and it gives an exhilarating sensation of looking forward what trouble this other main character has.

Although there are several books that contain two protagonists, each and every one of them has their own feeling in it, even if they have a similar structure. It’s remarkable to think that there can be many different structures in a book. I'd like to read and compare this book to "The prince and the pauper.” It would be fascinating to see two girls instead of two boys in a similar plot and situation.

Bryan Munson said...

This same structure is used in a book called "The Pigman." In that book, a guy and a girl tell the same story but from totally different perspectives. It helps us see the whole thing more clearly when an author divides up the narrators like that, don't you think?